How to Use Google Takeout to Download Your Data?
Here, we will tell you the complete instructions to follow for using Google Takeout. With this, you will be able to download your data from Google products like Gmail, contacts, calendars, drive, photos, maps, etc. Along with it, we will also answer several queries regarding the Takeout service.
The actual contents of this write-up are:
Let us start with the introduction first.
What is Google Takeout?
Google Takeout or Google Takeaway is a service by Google, created on June 28, 2011, to help users download their data from Google products. The data is exported in a downloadable archive file (ZIP or TGZ) that contains different files representing the selected Google products.
As of 16 March 2022, Google takeout allows to download the data from the following 44 services:
- Access log activity
- Android Device Configuration Service
- Arts & Culture
- Crisis User Reports
- Data Shared for Research
- Google Account
- Google Business Profile
- Google Cloud Search
- Google Help Communities
- Google Pay
- Google Play Books
- Google Play Games Services
- Google Play Movies & TV
- Google Play Store
- Google Shopping
- Google Translator Toolkit
- Google Workspace Marketplace
- Gmail Emails
- Home App
- Location History
- Maps (your places)
- My Activity
- Purchases & Reservations
- Question Hub
- Search contributions
- Street View
- YouTube and YouTube Music
The user has the option to either export data from all the services or simply select and download data from chosen products only. Afterward, Takeout will process the selected services and create a compressed archive file with all the requested data. The user can then download this archive and open Google takeout files containing the underlying data, as required.
How do I use Google Takeout?
Here you will learn how Google Takeout works. The step by step instructions to use Google Takeout is:
- Copy and paste this link (https://www.google.com/takeout) on your web browser to open the Takeout page.
- Log in to the Google account you want to use Takeout on.
- Now, the Takeout page will open containing a list of services to select and deselect.
- Choose the products from which you want to download the data under the Select data to include
- Scroll down to the bottom of this tab and click the Next step
- Now, select the various settings to control the Takeout export:
- Delivery method
- File type & size
- Set the delivery method to email, drive, dropbox, one drive, or box. We will be using the Send download link via email as it sends the downloadable archive link directly to your Gmail mailbox. While the other options let Google upload the data directly to the selected storage service.
- Frequency allows users to notify Google if they want to export data automatically every 2 months for 1 year or simply export right now.
- File type & size allows users to set the archive format between ZIP and TGZ format. It also lets you select to indicate the maximum file size for the archive after which it will split into other archive files if the size of the archive exceeds the selected size value.
- Finally, click the Create export button to start the Google takeout process.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- You will receive an email indicating that your archive is ready to download. Open this mail.
- Click Download your files to download the Google Takeout archive file on your computer.
- Extract this archive to view all the underlying data files containing data from Google Products.
That’s it! All your data is successfully exported and downloaded to your computer.
Can you undo Google takeout?
You can cancel the export process by clicking on the Cancel Export button on the Google Takeout page. But, if the archive is already created, then there is no way to undo the process. Simply, proceed to request another download with Google Takeout if you missed something previously.
You may want to know how to transfer emails from Google Takeout to a new Google account, if required.
How long does it take for Google Takeout?
It takes a short time (as low as a few minutes) if the requested data is small and it takes a long time (as high as several days) if the requested data is large. So, the total time to get the archive actually depends on the size of the data you are requesting from Google.
Google Takeout for Google Workspace/G Suite
An administrator can turn the Google Takeout service On or Off depending on the organization’s needs. If it is turned Off then the domain users will be unable to download the data from their account.
Control Google Takeout Service for Users:
- Open the Google Admin console.
- Go to Apps, then Additional Google services.
- Click on Google Takeout
- Select the Service Status.
- Now, choose either On for everyone or Off for everyone to turn Google Takeout on or off respectively.
- Click on Save.
If you wish to make a copy of the Google Workspace mailbox items, you can try the Google Workspace backup solutions.
Q. Does using Google Takeout delete data from the server?
No, downloading data via Google Takeout only provides you with a copy of the data. It does not delete anything from the server.
Q. Where do Google takeout downloads go?
By default, the Google Takeout archive goes to the Download folder on your computer. If you selected the delivery method to add the files to your Drive, Dropbox, One Drive, or Box, then the files will be present there only. You will get an email to notify you in this case.