Import Google Takeout to New Account – Transfer Google Account Data
Summary: Now you can move data from one Google account as it is possible to import Google takeout to new account. In this article, we are going to elaborate on the procedure in detail with a complete explanation to help you in importing your data.
Google takeout is a facility provided by Google that enables the users to download the data from their account to their system. It can save emails, contacts, images, videos, and all other data items in a local destination on your system in the MBOX file format. This is a go-to method when the users desire to take a backup of their crucial account data.
After you have successfully saved the content of your account, you will face trouble importing it into a new account. Let us figure out all possible solutions in the further sections of this blog.
How to Import Google Takeout to New Account?
The inbuilt Google takeout feature is an advanced option that is best for transferring your account data. It saves up the complete data in a .zip file. The steps to get the complete data using Google takeout and importing it into a new account is shown below:
Save Data Using Google Takeout
- First of all, log in to your Google account using valid credentials.
- Then, choose ‘Manage your Google Account’ or go to https://myaccount.google.com/
- From the left menu, go to Data & Privacy and scroll down.
- Under the ‘Data from apps and services you use’ section, choose ‘Download your data’.
- You will be directed to the Google Takeout page. You have to select the data you want to include or exclude from getting saved on your system.
- Click on the Next step button. Choose file type, frequency & destination. Click on ‘Create Export’.
- Google will now begin working and creating the copy. Once completed, your data will get saved on your system.
Import Google Takeout to Thunderbird
The next step is to move the data to Thunderbird to be able to import Google takeout to new account. You can directly import the contacts and calendars as they are downloaded in .csv and .ics respectively and Google provides a direct option to import them.
However, it becomes a big task to import mails as they are in the .mbox file. Let us find out how one can import them.
Step 1: Setup Gmail with Mozilla Thunderbird
- Download & install the Thunderbird email client
- Launch Thunderbird & then create a new account by clicking on File – New – Mail Account
- Give your name, Gmail email address & password. Keeping IMAP selected, click ‘Continue’.
- Thunderbird will receive the settings automatically, select “Create Account”.
- In the ‘All Folders’ pane, your Gmail account will be listed along with all your emails.
- Mozilla Thunderbird is not properly set up with the Gmail account.
Step 2: Install “ImportExportTools” Add-On for Thunderbird
- Download the “ImportExportTools” extension for Thunderbird from its website.
- Here, go to the “Download ImportExportTools (MboxImport enhanced)”.
- Right-click on this link & download the .xpi file and choose “Save target as”.
- Go to your Thunderbird and navigate to “Tools – Add-ons” & select “Install” in the Add-ons windows that show up.
- Point the .xpi file downloaded & follow the instructions shown up to install.
- Close and restart the Thunderbird application.
Step 3: Extract the Google Takeout Zip File
- Now, extract the .zip file downloaded using Google Takeout.
- Several .mbox files will display having names according to their respective label in Gmail.
Step 4: Import the Emails from MBOX Files
- In Thunderbird, in the navigation pane, import the MBOX in a local folder
- Now, right-click on ‘Local Folders’ and choose ‘Import/Export – Import Mbox file’
- Select the “import directly one or more Mbox files” option > ‘OK’
- Locate the folder where you extracted the Mbox files previously from the files browser. Choose the Mbox file that corresponds with the label needed to be restored and click on ‘Open’.
- The emails from the label will now import.
Step 5: Copy the Emails to Google Account
This is the last step in importing Google takeout to new account.
- In the navigation pane on the left in Thunderbird, click on ‘Local Folders’ then tap on the folder sharing the same name as the label you’re importing to Gmail.
- Select all the emails within that folder, right-click and select ‘Copy to <Gmail account> – <Label Name>’. (Here, ‘Gmail account’ is the email address of your destination Gmail account and ‘Label Name’ is the path of the label to import the restored emails to).
- Finally, all your emails will be in the destined Gmail account.
Related: How to Take Backup of Gmail Emails?
In this article, we have explained how you can import Google takeout to new account. It is a well-detailed solution blog that one must follow to achieve the results desired. You no longer have to worry as to how you can transfer data from one Google account to another as this is a one-stop solution to all your queries.