Methods To Change OST File Extension To PST File
Summary: It is not as simple as generally, user thinks to change OST file extension to PST. Most of the cases user is in dilemma to change only extension name .ost to .pst or need to change OST File to PST. Here in this post, we are going to discuss Convert OST File to PST File.
When you recognise there is a slight difference between OST file to PST file. They both are Outlook data file types and containing the same file structure. Even though they both store the same type of mailbox data. Being an Outlook data file, they both OST file and PST file store email, contacts, messages, calendar, tasks, notes, etc. It is noticeable that Outlook client is being used as a stand-alone application, it creates PST file. If in case the Outlook client is connected to Exchange Server and Cache exchange mode is turned on, a copy of your mailbox is saved on the local system, and it is called OST (Offline storage table).
Note: In order to open OST file need to be sure about the Offline mode folder is enable in the Outlook Client.
Why You Need to Change OST File Extension to PST File
Here we will describe few reasons to change OST file to PST file. In a simple word, if you are interested to move OST file to PST file you need to open OST file because of the following reasons:
- It is not the only extension, but it is also a file format so renaming extension is not allowed.
- Unexpected crash in exchange server, so for that make sure your connection is available.
- Maintenance of Exchange Server because there is no other way to access mailbox data if your connection is gone.
- In the case of Data Migration you must know that OST file can not be open in the system for that you need to change OST file to PST file.
- When you need Back-ups of few Exchange Server mailbox, there you can change data.
Above all the circumstances, you can change OST file extension to PST file format. For no more trouble, you can use mailbox content.
After this again the same question call. Above we discuss the OST file extensions and PST file extensions, why we can not rename the file extension, all the reasons we require to change OST file to PST file. Now, how we can change OST file to PST file? In General cases, user try to use the manual method but he/she is not able to find out the solution. Some of them use third-party help for conversion, and import email messages from OST file to PST file.
Before using software think about is there any need to use this software? Outlook client has itself build-in features that allow you to import the email messages and other mailbox content from OST file to PST file.
Method1: Using Archive Method to Change OST file Extension to PST File
Using this built-in feature you can directly copy or move OST file to PST file. This will help you to move your email file from .ost to .pst. It won’t move contacts, suppose you want to change OST file to PST file for contacts, then this may not be helpful.
To move OST file follow the following steps:
- Open the Outlook in your system and then open OST file you want to move to a new PST file.
- Main Window open, click on the File> Info.
- Now, select Archive in the listed block.
- After selecting the archive pop-up box to appear.
- Select any folder you wanted to move.
- On the same screen, you can see the Archive items older than: Select date from there
- Now Browse, you want to save a new PST file.
- Click on the OK button.
With a couple of minutes it will you data will be move OST file to PST file.
Method2: Using Export Method to Change OST File Extension to PST File
This is also one of the Outlook built-in methods to move OST file to PST file. Unlike Archive feature, it is a quick an easy way to move all mailbox data from OST file to PST file. In this, we can not only Change OST File to PST File but also in CSV and Excel format.
To use this method follow the following steps:
- Go to the Window program and open the Outlook Client in the system.
- In the main menu click on the File
- Click on Open and then Import tab
- A Window appears “Import and Export Wizard”, select export to a file.
- Click on Next to continue.
- Then select Outlook data file (.pst), click Next to continue.
- Select the mailbox folder you want to save your PST file. Click on Next to continue.
- Now, click browse to select PST file.
- Click on the OK button.
- Click on Finish.
Finally, the new .pst file contains the mailbox folder exported from .ost file.
Must Need to Avoid Manual Method- Limitations
Using the Manual method is not always worthy. As OST file format you will get the benefit of working in an offline mode. Therefore, OST file is a feasible way to access the Server mailbox file in the unavailability of an internet connection. Instead, there can be more situation which can affect the OST file completely. To deal with these circumstances, you will need to change OST File extension to PST File format.
Below are the following few reasons you need to read before using the manual method:
- Corrupted OST File: MS Outlook faces issues when you open a corrupted OST file. It also happens when the exchange server is down. You will not be able to re-create OST file. In this case, it is not possible to extract it into PST format using any of the above manual methods.
- If You Are Unable to Retrieve Exchange Server mailbox from a Stranded OST file: Stranded OST files are those that are not connected to an Exchange server that is why whenever there are an Exchange server synchronization errors, only OST files can be used for accessing mailbox files. There is none of the manual method used to change OST file extension to PST file.
- Time-consuming Process: In a different version of Outlook use various location for storing OST file which becomes difficult to locate them. So, using a manual method of moving OST file to PST file will require a lot of time.
- You Need Same Exchange Account: Using different accounts is not possible to access an OST file. Using of different account is prohibited.
- Technical Knowledge is Important for Manual Process: If you are not an expert in the technical field then you are advised not to use a manual method because skipping up any step or do not working properly may damage your data.
Method3: Use Expert Help To Change OST file Extension to PST File
For an easy and reliable method, which will take less effort to change OST file to PST file you can use OST Converter. The tool which gives you a better outcomes for your data without wasting time or losing data. With this, you will get the guide after each step so that you can easily move it by self.
If you willing to do so, use these following steps that will help you:
- Download the software using download button
- Install the Software and click Run Application
- Browse the OST file from the computer system
- Preview the data on the display screen.
- Select PST path to Save and click on the Export button.
You OST file Extension changes to PST file. Within less time limit. This tool has no size limit, that is you can use a large amount of data at a time.
After doing a lot of research I concluded that using a manual methods is a waste of time to change OST file extension to PST file. If you want effective output you can use Software. Using of a tool gives you a 100% accurate results. As we have already discussed above all the circumstances why we need to use the software. If you have any doubt share with us.