Import MBOX Files to Outlook A Complete Tutorial for You
The complete article tells the users how to import MBOX to Outlook on Mac as well as Windows OS environment. Users nowadays make use of both Operating Systems
Hence, we have decided to put forth the complete procedure of MBOX to PST Conversion in Windows and Mac Operating Systems. First of all, we need to understand the need of migrating MBOX messages to Outlook.
Table of Content:
Reasons to Import MBOX to Outlook
We cannot access MBOX files in Microsoft Outlook directly. Henceforth, we need to export the MBOX files into Outlook supported PST format. There are many ways through which MBOX files can be transferred to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and 2010 versions. This includes:
- MBOX files only incline mail in a proper format. But, MS Outlook mailboxes, store emails, address books, journals, events, calendars, etc.
- Mailbox data in PST includes the components i.e., Mails, Attachments, address books, events, appointments, notes, etc in a systematic manner.
- We don’t make use of the internet for accessing the downloaded emails and also we can work offline via Outlook as there is no requirement of network connectivity to start it.
Let’s first understand the user’s query mentioned below:
“I am a Forensic Investigator. I usually investigate files to gather evidence of the problems. A few days back, one of my clients gave me MBOX files and I need to go through the files. All these files are generated in Mac Operating system, and I don’t have Mac System. So I want to know how to access MBOX files into Outlook 2016 version. Is there any way out to perform the migration? We will completely follow the leads!”
We considered the complete query and came across a few conversion steps for importing MBOX file messages to Outlook.
Does Outlook support MBOX?
No, Outlook does not support MBOX files. You will either need to convert MBOX file to Outlook supported format to be able to open it in Outlook. Or you can use a medium to transfer data to Outlook in its supported format manually.
Also read: How do I Add MBOX to Thunderbird?
Method 1- Export MBOX to Outlook Manually
This method to export MBOX to Outlook manually has 3 steps:
Step 1: Create Gmail account and configure in Thunderbird
- Give your Credentials of Gmail account, which acts as mediator in both files
- Open and Launch Mozilla Thunderbird email client and then click Mail >> afterward select Preferences
- In the current wizard, opt for the Accounts tab to add a new mail account
- Choose + icon & then add your Gmail account in the Thunderbird program
- From the service provider window, choose Google, and afterward, click on the Continue option
- Enter the Gmail id and then select the Next button
- Put your credentials of associated Gmail Account and choose Next
- Choose the mailbox that is required to be used in Gmail account and Thunderbird and then click on the Done option
- In Account screen, add Gmail account as listed on LHS of the screen
- Exit the current window & Login to your Thunderbird program once again
- Once you have successfully added a Gmail account in the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, press the right button of the mouse and select the mailbox of the configured Gmail account, and select the New-Mailbox option.
- Then select the OK button.
Step 2: Import MBOX files to Mozilla Thunderbird account.
Open your MBOX file by the steps jotted below.
- In Thunderbird, right-click on Local Folders and select Settings.
- Copy the Local Directory path and open this location on your computer.
- Copy the MBOX file(s) to this location.
- Restart Mozilla Thunderbird.
- The MBOX folder will be available below Local Folders.
- Choose all messages that are to be opened in MS Outlook.
- Press Right button and Choose messages to be exported.
- If we don’t require to save the mail copies in Mozilla Thunderbird, choose Move to. Or simply choose the Copy To option, and copy the emails from MBOX folder to the Gmail folder.
- Keep track of live messages that are copied and if completed, check the details of copied MBOX messages easily.
Step 3: Configure & Move the mailbox to Outlook
- Open MS Outlook
- Select Outlook >> preferences option
- Now Select the Accounts option from the flash list
- A wizard is previewed in front of you. Click (+) icon & select mail
- Provide with login account and password that were used in Mozilla Thunderbird mail account and opt for Add Account.
- Once the account is added in Outlook, all the MBOX messages will appear here.
- Open Gmail account that is already configured in MS Outlook.
- Add the same account in Mozilla Thunderbird and move the MBOX data in it.
- All the MBOX messages are listed in Outlook.
Also Read: How to Import MBOX to Office 365?
Method 2- Import MBOX Mail to Outlook
Manually Import MBOX to Outlook in Windows & Mac
There is no direct way out to import MBOX files to Outlook for Mac. All the user needs to do is put the MBOX files to Gmail and then get the files downloaded in Outlook from Gmail.
In such circumstances, the usage of the Mac version of MBOX Converter tool is the best possible way to importing MBOX to Outlook.
Method 3- Convert MBOX Files to Outlook
Bored by following the manual procedure as it is very long and time-consuming. So, we are putting forward an automated approach i.e., MBOX to PST Converter. The tool has a few wonderful features that mesmerize the users a lot because of its features like Conversion of email items from the desired folders it is different in the market.
In addition to it, you can even save the MBOX file in different formats like: EML, PST, NSF, MSG, and so on. The software even facilitates the users with round-the-clock assistance, generation of mails in HTML.
1. Launch the Tool and Add MBOX file in it.
2. Preview complete data in different modes and click on Export button
3. Select PST radio button and apply advance options. After that browse location and hit on Export button.
4. Now you have PST file, simply launch Outlook and use Import/Export feature to import PST, created from MBOX to Outlook.
Final Thoughts !!
From the above-mentioned article, it is clear how to import MBOX to Outlook. There is a clear method through which the users can completely perform the process. Else, the users can opt for the third-party application.