SharePoint Online Tenant to Tenant Migration Process
Without a strategy, SharePoint Online tenant to tenant migration is not an easy task as it is not a straight & simple task. Although it’s not a rocket science but still, it involves technicalities that users need to be aware of. Therefore, we got several user queries regarding the same. Let’s have a look at one of them.
Now, that we know how a real user gets into trouble, it’s time to start working on the solution. The entire solution is not that difficult if the right method & technique is what we take as our primary route. Let’s begin with understanding about the SharePoint Online migration itself.
Table of Content
What is SharePoint Online Tenant to Tenant Migration?
Whenever a user targets to move his or her source items of a SharePoint site to another site, it’s called a SharePoint Online migration. This process includes the shifting of all users, resources & the data files.
Companies take this critical decision due to several structural changes like merger, acquisitions, divestitures, & spin-offs. Without proper planning, checks, testing, etc, the entire process may backfire.
Therefore, the below-mentioned steps can help users execute the entire task without any hassles at all. However, referring to the SharePoint Online Migration checklist can help users even more.
Prerequisites to Migrate SharePoint from One Tenant to Another
Before we proceed further, we can’t miss the prerequisites of this process. To end the chaos, simply adhere to the below-mentioned checklist:
- An active Microsoft Office 365 subscription with ShartePoint Online is compulsory.
- Assign people within the organization having admin access to SharePoint Online.
- Prepare a list of document sizes users need to migrate & clean the unwanted data.
- Acquaint yourself & staff with existing SharePoint online structure & permissions.
- Either appoint a migration expert or train admin for the same using best software.
- Get a person in charge who can easily collaborate with top-tier management.
- Avail & configure the organization’s servers, systems, networking equipment, etc.
- Pre-determine the risks & post effects of the migration on employees & resources.
Critical Challenges Users Need to Overcome
Now, after acknowledging the prerequisite, simply prepare for the challenges in the way. Majorly, there are four main challenges that users need to be aware of. Then only the respective strategy can be built.
- The primary issue that organizations may face is that a single tenant can not backup all the data. The simple reason for this is SharePoint being a cloud based platfrom.
- The ratio of successful migration to failed is quite high. It’s very common to loose some of the data during the migration for which planning is required.
- Data Integrity is another point of concern during the migration. Trusting the wrong tools can also spoil the experience of SharePoint Online migration.
- Not just the inhouse factors are there but also external factors affects results. For example, Microsoft’s infrastructure like latency and performance plays a major role.
- Not all employees are capable of executing this complex & technical task. Therefore, an admin is required for it without which, the task is quite difficult.
Steps for SharePoint Online Tenant to Tenant Migration
After understanding both challenges as well as prerequisites, it’s finally the time to focus on the entire migration. For this, users will simply need a tool. The SharePoint Online Migration Tool. As per experts, this is not only the most robust but also a budget-friendly solution.
Get the software & then follow the below 5 steps just as mentioned & experience no hurdles at all to migrate SharePoint from one tenant to another one.
1. Source Environment Preparations
The very step for users is to prepare their source SharePoint Online environment. Here, only three factors are there that a user need to focus on. Let’s discuss them all below:
- The first thing that users need to do is to understand the existing content. It includes the evaluation & analysis of the data files. Understand the file sizes, data types, etc in the source environment.
- Admins must determine the versions of the files that have to be made available on the new SharePoint Online tenant.
- Users can make an approximate calculation of the package sizes by considering both the number of files to be transferred and their individual sizes. Moreover, in the case of small-sized files, there will be a higher overhead.
2. Determine the Destination Tenant
Users must detect the tenant as the second step where they desire to move all the data files. Here, all the arrangements must be taken care of as well. Data security, storage space, and compatibility are the main focus here.
The creation of a test or demo environment can help in analyzing if the destination is ready for the files that users desire to move. This is the time when users can fix issues if any, for migration tools or configuration, they will have enough time to fix them.
3. Destination Environment Preparations
Now below three steps will help the users to prepare their destination environment for SharePoint Online tenant to tenant migration.
- First of all, training the staff for the upcoming changes is a small yet significant exercise that users need to conduct.
- Make an account with MS SharePoint Online admin or site collection admin rights begin with.
- Create the site libraries and schemas if the destination tenant is fresh & never been used before.
- Clone the structure of the document library & generic lists with all the customization prior to the commencement of the migration.
4. Begin the Pre-Migration Checks
- Now begin with all the pre-migration checks where users need to get the good-to-go approval from all departments.
- Make sure to check if the tool is ready & capable to meet the requirements of the organizations.
- Provide authentication of both source & destination to the software & create the endpoints as well.
5. Execution of SharePoint Online Tenant to Tenant Migration
Based on the number os users, the steps may differ & it is also a matter of the tool in use. Simply Map users from source to destination, provide permissions & validate them. Then finally, begin the migration & just for the process to get complete.
6. Update DNS Record
At this stage, it’s time to update the DNS Record. Here, DNS record must be updated & should be pointed to a new tenant. This is an initiation for users to utilize the destination tenant without any errors.
Updation of DNS Settings can be done manually as well as automatically. This basically depends on the DNS service provider of users. With the coordination of IT admin, the entire transition can be seamless.
7. Post Migration Checks
After the completion of the migration, simply perform a post-migration check that includes:
- Compare the targets with the actual results.
- Analyze the status report generated by the software.
- Re-run Migration – Migrate the failed data files on the second try.
- Disconnect the authentication given to the software at the first place.
- End the subscription of the old tenant of SharePoint Online migration.
Tips to Migrate SharePoint from One Tenant to Another
Know the Scope of Migration
Prior to the migration task, users must understand the scope of migration. This will help them understand whether it is worth it or not. Know your migration needs as per the number of users & data to be transferred.
Communicate Well with Staff
It’s always good to communicate with your staff & inform them about the upcoming changes. This can prepare them to face the change without any issues. Moreover, not just staff but also the top management should be informed & asked for a good-to-go approval.
Go for a Pilot Project
Run a demo migration at first to know if all the arrangements are working well & good. Without running the Pilot project, users can be unaware of the lack of preparations & later will not have enough time.
Track Migration at Every Step
Tracking all the steps of migration is a good practice. This way, users can understand whether the migration of SharePoint Online sites is going as per their expectations or not. Moreover, the status report can be helpful to compare expectations & results.
Let’s have a look at some other solutions tips as well. These ones are more tool oriented.
- Performing individual migrations for all SharePoint sites from source to destination can fasten the process & reduce the brisk of data loss.
- The tool can easily move SharePoint Site to another Site without any technical expertise at all. Also, they can merge two SharePoint Sites in a new one as well.
- Use the date filters from the above-mentioned tools to migrate the data files from a specific time period.
- Always go for the priority migration feature to get the important data first in the destination.
- Creating the project in Azure is compulsory & must be done prior to all the events to not face any hassles.
Bringing It All Together
Finally, in the end, we can now say that SharePoint Online tenant to tenant migration is not that tough if users are aware of the above-mentioned tactics. Moreover, using the automated software, it’s quite a seamless process for users to execute the perfect error-free operation.