Steps to Import MSG to Exchange Server (On-Premise)
Overview: If you are looking for simple steps to import MSG to Exchange server then your search ends here. In this write-up, you will find the simple and easy steps to transfer MSG to Exchange server without any hassle.
The Exchange server is one of the prominent mail servers to handle emails. It is known as the Microsoft Exchange server and is easy to set up. Microsoft offers its Exchange server plans which you can purchase and use for communication purposes. Microsoft releases their Exchange updated versions regularly. So you should use the latest version of the Exchange server, If you are using Exchange 2010 then you can migrate Exchange 2010 to 2016 for a better experience. As Exchange on-premise is well-versed in handling emails, you can also import MSG files to it. The MSG files store all the information of a single email along with the attachments.
But the MSG files are not readable so migrating the MSG files to the Exchange server is the best choice. But the problem is how to import MSG to Exchange server/ On-premise. So do not worry, just stick to the article and we will explain all the steps required to complete the task. But before finding the steps, let’s get an idea about the advantages that you will get after adding the MSG file to the Exchange server.
Advantages of Transferring MSG Files to Exchange Server
There are different benefits that you will get after adding MSG to Exchange on-premise. Some of the major benefits are listed below.
- Consolidation – If you have multiple MSG files with the essential information. So importing them to the Exchange server provides a central location through which the managing and accessing of MSG files becomes easier.
- Backup – The Exchange server also has the feature of backup. Through this, the chances of data loss are reduced.
- Integration – The Exchange server can be easily integrated with other Microsoft apps such as Teams, SharePoint, and many more. Due to this, the collaboration between the team members also improved.
- Scalable and Reliable – The Exchange server is scalable and reliable which stores multiple MSG files and also secures them from unauthorized access.
- Storage – By importing the MSG files to the Exchange server, you can free up the local storage.
After knowing the advantages of Exchange server now, it’s time to know how to transfer MSG to the Exchange server.
Also Read: What are the required steps for Exchange 2013 to 2019 migration?
How to Add MSG to Exchange Server?
To migrate MSG to Exchange server, you need to use the Exchange Import Tool. Using this tool, you can easily add the MSG files to the Exchange server without any error. If you are not an expert at the technicalities of the Exchange server then it’s not an issue. Because this tool is very easy to operate and requires drag-and-drop operations only. You can also export emails from Exchange Server whenever required. Let’s look into the simple steps to complete the process.
6 Simple Steps to Import MSG to Exchange Server
Step 1. Download and Run the tool on the local machine. After downloading the tool, select both platforms. Choose MSG in the Source and Exchange in the Destination.
Step 2. In the same window, there is an option for Email in the workload section. Tick the checkbox of the Email and hit on Next button.
Step 3. Now in the Source window, it’s time to locate the MSG file. But before entering the path of the MSG file. You need to make a separate folder such as “Import”. This folder creates the folders as per the users and in those folders, there should be a separate “Email” folder having the emails of the particular user.
- D:/Import/user1@domainName.com/Email/ (put all .msg files/subfolder containing .msg files of user1)
- D:/Import/user2@domainName.com/Email/ (put all .msg files/subfolder containing .msg files of user2)
After entering the path of the MSG file, validate it and hit Next.
Step 4. Now the Destination window opens, enter all the required details such as Exchanger server version, Admin Email, Password, Active Directory IP, and Exchange Server IP. After completing all the details. Click on the validate and then Next.
Step 5. In the Users window, choose the option to add the users into the tool from:-
- Fetch Users – To fetch all the users from the Source.
- Import Users – Add users to the tool using a CSV file.
- Download Template – Download a template to add users by using a sample CSV file.
After adding the users. Hit on the Validate option.
Step 6. After the successful validation of the users. Click on the Start Import button to transfer MSG to Exchange server.
Prominent Features of the Tool
- Import MSG to Exchange server using batch processing. Due to this, multiple MSG files can be imported in a single process.
- All the properties of the Emails such as attachments and messages will remain the same as the original.
- Provides complete security to the data from unauthorized access.
- After the process ends then a complete report is also generated through which you can analyze all the executed steps.
- Provides multiple options to add users.
- Provides the option to import the selective data only using the search filter before the importing process.
- There is also an option through which you can set the account priority transfer MSG to Exchange server.
- An interactive dashboard is in the tool to track the complete process from the different options such as In progress, Pending, and Completed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What other file formats are imported by this tool?
Ans – This tool can import PST and EML files also to Exchange Server.
Q2. I am not good at the technicalities of the Exchange server. Can I use this tool to Import MSG to Exchange server?
Ans – Yes, because of the simple interface, it can be operated by non-tech users.
Q3. I have some MSG files with the confidential data. Can I rely on this tool?
Ans – Yes, you can rely on this tool. Because it keeps data safe and secure throughout the process.
Q4. Does this tool maintain the file structure?
Ans – Yes, this tool maintains the complete file structure while importing to the Exchange server.
The transferring of MSG to Exchange server is difficult. But in this write-up, we have explained an efficient tool to complete the process without any hassle. I hope, now you are familiar with the tool and what are the essential steps to import MSG to Exchange server.