Expert Solution to Backup Mac Outlook File to PST Format
In this article we will discuss the manual and expert method to backup Mac Outlook to PST and why we need to take a backup of Mac Outlook to PST file format.
Reasons for Backup Mac Outlook to PST
When a user is working on the Mac machine, he may need to convert the data to Windows Outlook which does not support OLM file format. Then this may happen with the user in the scenario:
- Users need export data from the Mac machine to Windows PC.
- Users need to access the OLM file from Windows client.
Manual Process of Exporting Outlook for Mac to PST
Note: The manual process contains a lot of steps and it is also a time-consuming method.
First Export your Outlook OLM File
- Launch Outlook in your Mac machine, navigate the Tool tab and choose the Export option
- Choose the items to export from Export to Archive File(.olm) Window and click on Continue for further process
- Now, a dialog box will appear to enter the specified name and location where you want to save your file from Save archive file to (.olm) as
- Click Finish after Outlook completes the exportation of selected data
The items which user selected were saved as an archive .olm file format at your specified location.
Then Set up Gmail in Outlook for your Mac Machine
- Start Outlook for Mac machine, navigate Outlook and choose Preferences
- Outlook Preferences window will appear, select Accounts inside Personal Settings
- Click the + sign in the left corner in the Accounts window. Choose E-mail form the drop-down list
- When you arrive at the next step fill the required credentials and then click Add Account
- Your Gmail account has been successfully added in your Outlook account
Migrate Outlook for MAC data to Gmail
- In Mac Outlook, Select New folder by right-clicking on added Gmail Folder
- Rename your folder and navigate File option and choose Import
- Select the mailbox folder you want to export. Right-click the items from the folder and go to the Move option and select Choose folder
- Browse your Gmail folder and Click Copy
All the data of OLM file will copy in the new Gmail folder
Export the Converted Data into Outlook PST
- Launch your Windows Outlook application and configure the same Gmail account which you have entered in your Mac Outlook
- Navigate File menu>Open & Export> Import/Export
- Choose Export to a file from the Import and Export Wizard
- Select Outlook Data File(.pst) and hit the Next button
- Select your Gmail account which contains OLM file data in Export Outlook Data File window and click on Next button
- Browse the location of your Outlook data file(.pst) and hit the Finish option
Also Read: How to Import Mac Mail Emails to Outlook?
Limitations of Manual Approach
The above method which is for backup the data by exporting OLM file in PST file format has some disadvantages mention below:
- Always needs a Gmail configuration.
- It is a lengthy and time-consuming method.
- Sometimes may result in data inconsistency.
- Users need to be technical assistance.
Expert Solution to Backup Mac OLM File to PST
- Download and initialize OLM to PST Converter tool
- Hit Add file button to add an OLM file
- Select the desired location and click the Add file option to initialize file scanning
- Choose the PST file format into which you want to export your OLM file
- Open and select the desired folder and tap on Export option to start the process
After completion of the process, a Confirmation window will appear. Now you can save the exported report and give the desired name for the report and hit the save button. The report path will be displayed in the window. Open the location where you save your PST file, and verify all your items.
In this article, we were explained the different methods to take a backup of Mac Outlook to PST file format. We have discussed two methods i.e. a manual approach and an expert solution. Both solutions are very convenient to use but the manual approach is a time-consuming method whereas one can easily take backup without any extra efforts by the Expert method.