MS Outlook an email client used for both Windows as well as Mac Operating System, but both the platforms save mailboxes data with file formats. In case of Mac OS, the Outlook data is saved in OLM files but in contrary to it on Windows, it is stored in PST format. In this case, we can consider many reasons due to which the users wish to swap the platform to import OLM file to windows Outlook.
OLM file extension is limited to Outlook for Mac only. With Outlook 2011 for Mac the OLM files came into existence. It has the same purpose and usage as MS Outlook PST files on Microsoft Windows. It implies that Mac Outlook stores all the data present in mailboxes like Inbox, Calendars, Address Books, and many more. If the OLM file is only specific to Mac Operating System, it does not open through the Windows Outlook.
If a user has recently switched from Mac platform to any Windows-based system, he/she experiences many issues while accessing his/her mailbox data saved in the OLM file via Outlook’s Windows version.
To access the mails, calendars, contacts, etc. the user needs to convert OLM to PST form and afterwards import resultant PST file to the Microsoft Windows Outlook.
To export OLM Items to Windows PST, first of all users need to locate the entire physical Mac OLM file. By default the location of an OLM file is either of the two system locations:
Documents\Microsoft User Data\Office 2011 Identities\Main Identity\Databases
Documents\Microsoft User Data\ MS Office 2011 Identities\Main Identity\Data-Records\Message
But, in many cases, even if a user navigates to hard drive locations mentioned above, then he/she may not be able to locate these files physically. For accessing these files, the users need to make it again by storing mailbox data into Mac OLM format.
Mentioned below are the steps through which it can be easily performed:
1. In drive location where the OLM files are stored, hit on File Option -> Next, Select Export. It opens a new Export window.
2. Select the data previewed at a location
3. It renders users with a new option, i.e., Delete the items after Exporting. Select Do not want to delete item option
4. Afterward, click on Save As option and choose the destination location where users can store the OLM files
5. Select the Save Option and save the OLM files
After creating the OLM files, it can be easily converted to Outlook PST form via steps mentioned below:
Note: Through this method, the user gets IMAP Server as an intermediate between both Windows Outlook and the Mac Outlook. It is the same as that of using an automatic storage device between the two systems for copying files easily. For receiving the IMAP server, users can easily receive the remote files.
Step 1: Create a Gmail account (or any other IMAP server). If you already own one, follow step 2
Step 2: Configure MS Outlook in Mac OS with Gmail
1. Open MS Outlook for Mac and choose Tools -> Accounts
2. In Accounts window open, click on + button present on the left side for adding a new account
3. Select the mail address pane
4. Type all the credentials like mail id, password, user name for Gmail account
5. Select the incoming server as imap.gmail.com
6. Choose Use SSL Connect
7. Enter the smtp.gmail.com as Outgoing Server
8. Select both of the options from Outgoing Server
9. Enter Outgoing port as port no.- 465 afterwards, click on the Add account
10. On the left side of the pane, a yellow button appears showing a connection is made. It becomes green in case the password keyed-in is right & the connection is made.
Step 3: Migrating Data from the Mac Outlook to Gmail Account
1. Firstly, Right-click on the mailbox folder to be migrated and click on Copy option
2. Select the destination folder in Gmail mail account
3. The search bar present on screen’s bottom shows the uploading of messages
4. After uploading, Refresh Gmail account
Step 4: Configuring the Gmail with Windows Outlook
1. Open MS Outlook and opt on File >> Info >> Account Settings
2. In the current window opened, opt on New Icon
3. Check the Additional server type
4. Afterward, Check Internet E-mail
5. Enter your credentials like email address, password, and user name
6. Select account type as IMAP Account
7. Opt imap.gmail.com as the Incoming Server
8. Enter smtp.gmail.com as the Outgoing Server
9. Click on More Settings option
10. In Outgoing Server tab, select my Outgoing server requires authentication
11. In the Advanced tab, enter the Incoming Server Port as 993
12. Select SSL as the encryption type
13. Enter Outgoing Server Port as 465 Hit on OK button
14. Choose the Test Account Settings and then click on Finish option
Step 5: Migrating mailbox data to Windows Outlook from Gmail
1. Sign in the Gmail account and select the Settings icon
2. Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP option
3. Under IMAP Access, select Enable IMAP Option
4. Enable the Auto-Expunge On if required
4. Enable Archive option, if a user wants to archive the messages
5. Click on the Save changes option
6. Open MS Outlook and Choose Send/Receive message
Using this option, users can easily access MS Outlook for Mac emails to Windows Outlook
From the steps mentioned above, users can easily export OLM file into Windows Outlook. But, the entire process is very complex and appears confusing for any non-tech user. Also, it brings the users in a state of risk as a single mislead can cause data loss.
Thus, for performing safe and exact OLM export to PST process, stay tuned to export OLM messages to Windows PST software. This software can be considered as a perfect choice when it comes to migrating to MS Outlook OLM files to Outlook PST consisting of all emails and the mail components like Inbox, Address books, Calendars, To-do task, Notes, and many more. The software even provides users with a smart option for saving converted emails into PST, MSG, and EML formats.
From the entire blog, the user now easily understands the conversion of .olm to .pst and also helps the users to perform it manually along with the steps. So, the users can easily follow the steps to perform the OLM to Outlook PST Export Process.
But, the method has many drawbacks too as it can easily lead to corruption and data loss if any step not performed properly. So, trying an expert solution like a tool to Import OLM File to Windows Outlook should be given a try.