Email Migration From Lotus Notes to Office 365: A Step-by-Step Guide
As cloud technology becomes advantageous, more and more organizations are switching to it from an on-premises environment. Organizations using HCL Notes (formerly known as IBM Notes or Lotus Notes) are not an exception. Due to this, there is a huge demand for email migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365.
However, migration from lotus notes to Office 365 isn’t easy to perform, as Lotus Notes stores its data in a .nsf file. And, Microsoft application support only .pst file format. So, it becomes impossible to manually migrate data between these two environments. But, there are some easy workarounds to perform the migration.
Techniques to Perform Email Migration From Lotus Notes to Office 365
Apart from file conversion and import tool combo, there are two easier workarounds to perform the migration:
- Using IMAP connector to migrate emails from Lotus Notes to Office 365
- Using Automated Tool to Directly Import NSF File Data Into Office 365 Account
Technique #1: Manually Migrate Emails Using IMAP Connector
Follow the below step-by-step process for email migration from Lotus Notes to office 365 manually:
Step 1: Save NSF Files
As we have explained earlier that Lotus Notes support .nsf file, therefore, you need to take backup of your NSF file of Lotus Notes. This will help you to recover the mailboxes if manual migration fails.
Step 2: Generate new user mailboxes for each NSF file
In this step, you need to create a destination user account in Microsoft Office 365 for each NSF file. Create a user name with the same name as the NSF file, this will help you easily map the NSF file and Office 365 user account.
Step 3: Enabling IMAP TCP/IP Port
This is a repetitive process that needs to be done for each user account. Follow the steps below to enable IMAP TCP/IP ports:
- Go to Admin Center of Domino in Lotus Notes
- From the configuration tab, open server document that performs IMAP services
- Click on the Ports, then select Internet Ports, and then click on the Mail tab.
- From the IMAP column, change the value status of TCP/IP port to Enabled.
- Hit the Save button to implement the changes and then close Lotus Notes
Step 4: Synchronization with IMAP Connector
The final step for email migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365 is to use IMAP Connector to synchronize both environments.
Drawbacks of Manually Migration to Office 365 from Lotus Notes
- Generally firewall and proxy server of Lotus Notes connection blocks internet connection.
- Cannot migrate NSF file of size greater than 1GB
- This manual approach doesn’t support Calendar migration so that needs to be done separately.
- Complex and time taking process.
- Only migrates 15 user mailboxes in one go.
Automated Solution For Direct Email Migration From Lotus Notes to Microsoft 365
To overcome the complexity of the manual solutions and for quicker migration experience, use Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool.
This tool not only supports email migration but also supports contacts and calendars migrations. Using this tool, an Administrator can easily migrate multiple NSF files directly into the Office 365 user account. It also offers multiple features that can help the admin during the migration of data.
Following are the list of features offered by the tool:
- Emails, Contacts, Calendar migration from lotus notes to Office 365
- Offers date-range filter for selective data migration only.
- Option for mapping NSF file with Office 365 user account.
- Retry and Re-Run Migration options to handle failed migrations
- Provide delta migration options to migrate new data in the next migration attempt.
- Generates the download report in Summary and Detailed formats.
Step-By-Steps process for email migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365:
1. Click on the Download button to get the software exe.
2. Launch the tool and go to Activate tab for tool activation.
3. After activation, click on the Setup tab to select the workloads items to migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365.
4. In the next tab, enter the Admin Email, Client Password, and NSF file path. Then, click on Validate button for the authentication >> Next
5. Now enter the Office 365 admin id and application id (created during project creation steps)
6. From User tab, select the option for mapping NSF file with Office 365 account.
7. Once the mapping is finished, click on validate button for the user authentication and hit the Start Migration button.
8. Watch the live status of migration from the tool window. After finishing the migration, download the report and exit the tool.
That’s it! In just 8 steps admin can migrate emails from Lotus Notes to Office 365 for all users. Now you can login into your Office 365 account and check the migrated data.
Check out our Lotus Notes to Outlook import guide if you want your data in Microsoft Outlook.
In this article, we have discussed step-by-step ways for email migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365. The manual solution is completely free but comes with a risk and complexity. Whereas, the demonstrated automated solution is paid but a foolproof solution to migration of multiple NSF file directly into selected Office 365 user account. You can opt for the method according to your organization’s needs and experience on the platform. If you have less experience of IMAP Connector and Office 365, then you can go for an automated tool to help you ease the migration.