Upgrade SQL Server 2014 to 2019 without Error – Best SQL Migration Guide
Summary: To upgrade SQL Server 2014 to 2019 version, this is so far the best available guide for users. There are a few ways by which users can get decent results but not all of them are reliable. Therefore, we are mentioning both manual & advanced automated solutions here for users respectively. Along with that, the reasons why users migrate SQL Server 2014 to 2019 are also mentioned below.
We are quite sure that by the end of this article, users can easily get the perfect solution. It will be beneficial for users if they are aware of the SQL Server technicalities. However, the modern method can help them even without that. The step-by-step solution is what users need for the perfect SQL migration task & we are mentioning it below.
Reasons to Migrate from SQL Server 2014 to 2019 version?
There are a lot of reasons why users want to upgrade their servers. There are several expectations of any users in case of server upgradation. Below are the expectations mentioned.
Performance: Better speed & performance is the first thing users consider in order to upgrade SQL Server 2014 to 2019.
Security: New versions often come with better security features. This can be really beneficial for users to keep their data files secure.
Features: There are better features & functions in the new versions that allow users to work faster & efficiently. This is a major reason to upgrade SQL 2014 to 2019 version.
Subscription: New versions are offering more dynamic subscription costs. Users now only pay for the service they actually take.
Also Read: How to Migrate SQL Server 2012 to 2019 Version
Upgrade SQL Server 2014 to 2019 Step by Step Manually
There is no direct manual method available. Users need to simply go through several different operations. They just call migration a combined task. However, there are several different tasks involved. Three phases are here for users to manually execute this SQL migration from a lower to a higher version.
Phase 1: Users need to repair the database objects first. For this, users use the DBCC CHECKDB command. Later, they can opt for REPAIR_REBUILD, REPAIR_ALLOW_DATALOSS, & REPAIR_FAST commands.
Phase 2: The second phase here is to take a full backup of the database files in the local system. Users must be careful as one mistake can end up deleting the entire database.
Phase 3: The final task here is to export the local backup to the destination server. This is why users face various difficulties in getting perfect results.
- Users must be careful as there is no direct method & this way is quite complex.
- Not all users are technically proficient & may end up having a very big trouble.
- Users must learn the T-SQL scripts for SQL server 2014 to 2019 upgrade task.
- The manual solution does not have advanced features to speed up the task.
- There are multiple security concerns here as well that are dangerous for users.
- There is no surety of this method providing the perfect results for users in time.
The Automated Solution to Get Perfect Results
To upgrade SQL 2014 to 2019, an automated solution is so far the safest as well as the most ideal method. Here, users just need to download the SQL Server Data Migration Tool first. This solution is the only way for users to get 100% accurate results without any errors as this is tried & tested.
Download the tool from the above link & then simply follow the below SQL Server migration steps to migrate SQL Server 2014 to 2019 version with ease.
Step-1. Launch the Tool & Click on the Open button first.
Step-2. Select Online or Offline mode for migration here.
Step-3. Preview the Data Files & Click on Export options.
Step-4. Now Set the Export settings as per your preference.
Step-5. Finally, Click on the Export button to finish the task.
Note: Users must carefully go through this point if they want to eliminate any issues in the SQL server 2014 to 2019 upgrade operation with ease. If you working on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Server 2012/16, kindly select the “Run as Administrator” option.
Also, make sure to download the summary report after completing the tasks of database migration to gather further information for R&D purposes.
Automated Features to Upgrade SQL Server 2014 to 2019
There are several features that make the automated solution worthy enough for users. When we look deep into this matter, we get two reasons why it’s crucial to be aware of these features. First of all, it helps users understand the tool & the task in a better way. Secondly, it provides users the capability to utilize the tool to its maximum potential. Let’s take a quick look at these features:
- There are a total of four options for users to migrate their database:
- Live SQL server to another Live SQL server.
- Live SQL server to SQL-compatible script file.
- Offline MDF file to the live SQL Server DB.
- Offline MDF file to SQL-compatible script file.
- Users can migrate from SQL Server 2014 to 2019 selectively using this tool.
- There are date & category filters available here to migrate desired data only.
- It can migrate several data objects like tables, triggers, indexes, functions, etc.
- Users do have the option to create a new database to accommodate the files.
- This utility can migrate the data files to an existing database in the SQL server.
- Users can repair the damaged data objects prior to the migration task here.
- There is a feature to migrate the database with schema & schema with data also.
- SQL servers 2005, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, & 2019 are compatible.
Putting It All Together
It’s not really a difficult task for users to upgrade SQL Server 2014 to 2019 version without the right technical knowledge. We learned how both manual & automated solution works from the above sections. Therefore, we can say that the manual method is not at all reliable & it may have severe consequences that can be harmful to users.
Users can definitely go for the automated solution as per experts’ recommendations. The reason for this is the involvement of advanced algorithms & AI technology. With the right method & a little technical knowledge, even new users can also migrate SQL Server 2014 to 2019 without any hassles for sure.