How to Repair Corrupted VHD File – Know Step by Step Solution
This article is summarized simply as any powerful method for the solution on how to repair a corrupted VHD file. Many users search for how to repair damaged vhd files. Therefore, in this write-up, we will describe a typical and simple workaround to execute the task. Firstly we are mentioning users’ queries that are mentioned on the forum posting site.
Hello Friends, does anyone know how to repair corrupted VHDX files in Windows 7? I got a VHD installed on my computer with Windows 7. Yesterday evening when I was turn on the virtual machine, I saw my VHD corrupted with all saved data are damaged. So anyone can tell me how to repair corrupted VHD and VHDX without any hassle. Because my all data is very precious and all are my official data please help me ASAP. Thanks in Advance
Hello Everyone, I am recently use virtual machine. I have one year old .vhd file, which I mounted in Windows 10 system. It was working properly initially, but I don’t know how some files deleted from VHD. So, I want to know that, is it possible to repair corrupted VHD file. If yes then please share the steps to repair damaged vhd file .”
If the Virtual hard drive (VHD) file gets corrupted, users may lose their data files and folders, including VHD boot files. Now we know what is VHD file, the Reason of corruption, and how to repair a damaged VHD file. So let’s begin…
Table of Content
What is VHD File
VHD is a virtual hard drive format. VHD is mainly used for system image backup. The Files and folders on your hard drive can also be stored in your VHD or VHDX. However, VHD files and folders are prone to corruption problems and make them unavailable to be used on a virtual machine.
Causes for VHD File Corruptions
There are many possible causes for VHD file corruption:-
- Due to virus and malware attack
- Suspended virtual machine status
- Storage media failure
- Due to humane errors
- Power failure
- Sudden system shutdown
The Easiest Way to Repair Corrupted VHD File
There is no manual method to repair damaged VHD files because using manual method steps to repair corrupted VHDX file is not so easy for technical and non-technical users. So better users can use VHD File Recovery Software. It is a trustworthy tool designed by professional data recovery experts to recover corrupted and damaged VHD or VHDX files.
The best part of the software is it recovers deleted, corrupted, virus-infected, formatted, lost, and damaged VHDX (Virtual Hard Drive) files. It has a simple GUI (Graphic User Interface) and is very easy to use savvy and non-savvy both users can use this software. Now we will discuss the working process of the software
Steps to Repair Corrupted VHD File
Here we have mentioned a few simple steps to repair a damaged VHD file:-
- Download and run Hyper V Recovery software on your computer on any version of Windows
- Now click on the browse button and navigate to the location where .vhd and .vhdx files are saved. Choose the corrupted and damaged files and click on Scan.
- After completing the recovery procedure. The tool will list all restored folders in Explore panel. Just expand the folder and preview restored items very easily.
- In the end, the tool provides two options to Save repaired VHD or VHDX file items. Either Save complete recovered files or selected files. Choice is yours
Beneficial Features of Tool to Repair Corrupted VHDX File
- Guaranteed recovery of corrupted, lost, damaged, mounted, or dismounted VHD or VHDX files with complete data recovery without any hassle.
- Supports recovery for both Static and Dynamic VHD or VHDX files of FAT (16, 32 )and NTFS file systems.
- Allows Microsoft Windows Hyper-V, Virtual PC, and Virtual Server VHDX and VHD files.
- This application is compatible with all Windows versions like 10, 8, 7, and all below version
- Restore Shift+Delete, formatted or re-formatted .vhd & .vhdx partition data file recovery.
- Tool restores Raw data files from formatted VHDX and VHD partition
- The application recovers unlimited data without any file size issues
- Allows to recover corrupted VHD and VHDX data files
Points to Remember
- Always take backup of your important data
- Always scan your drive with reliable anti virus software
- Do not attach any virus infected external storage device like pen drive, hard drive, SD card or Memory card etc.
How to Repair Corrupt VHD Files with Hyper v Manager
Users can restore VHD with hyper v Manager a Windows 10 application to generate and manage VM and VHDs.
Follow the below-mentioned steps:-
- Run the hyper v Manager and hit on edit disk.
- Choose to locate the disk at the left side of the panel, Navigate the affected VHD or VHDX file, and hit on next.
- Choose a compact to free up unused space. If users couldn’t see the compact option, the VM to which the VHD attached turned on, or the affected VHDX file is a fixed disk VHD.
- Hit on Finish once the compact procedure is complete
- Rename the VHD file
Repair Damaged VHDX Files by using DiskPart Utility
Users can use Windows in-built applications to restore the VHD file.
Follow the steps to repair VHD
- Hit on the start button and write CMD
- Right, hit on the command prompt.
- Hit on the run as administrator to install the command prompt as an admin
- Type diskpart and press enter
- Type choose vdisk file=”e:\folder\vdisk.vhdx” and click enter. Where e:\folder\vdisk.vhdx is the entire way of the damaged VHD file.
- Type connect vdisk read-only and hit enter
- Write compact vdisk and click enter
- Write detach vdisk and click enter then type exit
Repair Corrupt VHDX File with Windows PowerShell Command
This solution utilizes Windows PowerShell to repair the VHDX file.
- Run Windows PowerShell as an admin (Run as administrator).
- Write Mount-VHD –path e:\folder\vdisk.vhdx –Read Only and hit Enter.
- Then Write Optimize-VHD –path e:\folder\vdisk.vhdx -Mode Full and hit Enter.
- Write Dismount-VHD –path e:\folder\vdisk.vhdx and hit Enter.
- Where e:\folder\vdisk.vhdx is the complete path of the corrupt VHD file
In the above write-up, we have mentioned and professional solution to repair corrupt VHD files. But, the manual method requires technical expertise. So, We recommended you use reliable professional software with specialized features to repair damaged vhd files and know the working efficiency of the software. You can also use free demo version of the software and make your data recovery hassle-free.
FAQS – How to Repair Corrupted VHDX File
Yes, Read the above-mentioned blog and know how to repair a corrupted VHD file.
Yes, you can recover a normal deleted, shift-deleted VHD file with the help of the above-mentioned software.
With the help of the above-mentioned solution, you can repair the VHDX file.
Yes, you can install this software on any version of Windows.