How to Migrate from GoDaddy to Office 365? Complete Guide
GoDaddy is one of the most popular domain registrar and web hosting companies that also offer services like business email, e-commerce solutions, etc. But now, many users are moving away from it because of the locked-down licenses and features that restrict the company’s productivity and growth. The businesses and individuals want to control and utilize their platforms and thus they are in the need to migrate from GoDaddy to Office 365.
However not everyone knows how to do that, but, you need not worry as in this blog we will provide you with the complete guide to migrate email from GoDaddy to Office 365.
Table of Contents:
Why Transfer Email from GoDaddy to Office 365?
Office 365 is the top choice for many businesses and individuals because it offers Microsoft’s functionality with which users have been familiar for the past many years. Also, it is one of the most cost-effective methods to host business email and allows you to scale your organization effortlessly. There are various reasons why users migrate from GoDaddy to Office 365, let us discuss a few of them in brief.
- Office 365 offers various tools specifically designed to enhance communication and collaboration among team members. This enhances their productivity and collaboration as they can work on various projects and also share the required resources.
- Office 365 offers better scalability and flexibility as it can accommodate the needs of each and every small and large business. Thus it is beneficial to migrate from GoDaddy to Office 365 so that you can access more features by upgrading to the Office 365 subscription.
- Office 365 can also integrate with other Microsoft services and third-party applications to provide its users a more integrated and centralized management. This lets the administrators manage security settings, user accounts, access permissions, etc. efficiently.
These are some of the most common reasons why you should migrate from GoDaddy to Microsoft 365. Moreover, let us understand how you can do that easily using different methods that we will discuss in the next section.
Migrate from GoDaddy to Office 365 using Manual Method
- Sign in to your Office 365 account using your login credentials and then navigate to the “Exchange Admin Center”.
- Go to “Recipients”, select “Migration” then click on “New” and choose the option to “Migrate to Exchange Online”.
- Now choose the “IMAP Migration” option and then from “Select the user’s” page click on the “Browse” button.
- Microsoft 365 will now validate the selected file and then display the number of users and mailboxes to migrate from GoDaddy to Office 365.
- Click on the “Next” button, then go to the “Move Configuration page” and type the name of the migration batch.
- Now from the “Start Batch” page click on “Browse” to send a copy of migration reports to users or choose the “Automatically Start the batch” option as per your requirement.
The manual method is very complicated as users have to take care of various prerequisites and many other things before and while performing the migration process. But we also have an easy method which is ideal for every user to transfer email from GoDaddy to Office 365 discussed in the next section in detail.
Best Method to Migrate Email from GoDaddy to Office 365
The manual method is very complicated and requires good technical knowledge to complete the migration process successfully without any data loss. Therefore, an ideal solution to migrate from GoDaddy to Microsoft 365 is by using the IMAP Migration Tool. This software supports all IMAP accounts and has the ability to migrate from multiple email accounts simultaneously.
Steps to Transfer Email from GoDaddy to Office 365
Let us discuss the steps following which you can easily migrate from GoDaddy to Office 365.
- Open the IMAP Migration Tool and select “IMAP” as the source and “Office 365” as the destination.
- Now under the “Workload Selection” select the checkbox representing “Email”.
- You can also use the “Date Filter” option to migrate only selected data from GoDaddy to Office 365.
- From the “IMAP Server” section select the “Other” option, click on “Validate” and enable the “Read User & Write Email Permissions”.
- Next, enter the destination “Admin Email” and “Application ID” and then click on the “Validate” button to enable all permissions.
- Click on the “Next” button to import the users list into the CSV file, add this to the “Import User” section and click on “Upload”.
- Add the “Source App Password” of the accounts you want to migrate and click on the “Validate” button.
- Click on the “Start Migration” button at the top right corner of your screen to successfully migrate from GoDaddy to Office 365.
Benefits of Using Professional Software over Manual Method
We have discussed both manual as well as professional method, professional software has multiple advantages over manual method making it an ideal solution for the user. To understand better let us look at the reasons why you should use professional software to migrate from GoDaddy to Office 365.
- The software is capable to export emails from all IMAP accounts to Office 365 from single or bulk mailboxes, which cannot be done using manual methods.
- Using the date filter users can migrate selective data from source IMAP to Office 365.
- After the completion of the process, users can also generate a migration summary report and save it in the CSV format for future reference and analysis.
- With this software, users can transfer data from up to 20 users at once and also maintain the folder structure of their emails throughout the migration process.
Many users want to migrate from GoDaddy to Office 365 for better scalability, enhanced communication, and collaboration among business organizations. But, not everyone knows how it can be done, and hence, we have provided you with the different methods to do that. However, the manual method is very complicated and requires good technical knowledge to successfully complete the migration process without any data loss. Thus, an ideal solution for every user is the professional IMAP migration tool discussed above to make the migration process easy and secure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 Do I need to update my domain DNS settings for migration?
Ans. Yes, you have to update your domain’s DNS settings for the correct migration of your data to Office 365.
Q.2 Is the GoDaddy workspace email going away?
Ans. Yes, GoDaddy has announced the discontinuation of its workspace email service. It will now no longer release any new features.
Q.3 Is GoDaddy Office 365 the same as Microsoft Office 365?
Ans. No, GoDaddy Office 365 is not the same as Microsoft Office 365 as it is a smaller version and has limited tools for administrative work.