Kerio Connect Backup to Save Emails from Webmail Server
Before moving ahead with the topic let’s first understand the background information about Kerio Connect.
What is Kerio Connect?
It is a mail server brought by GFI Software in 2017. It can be installed on multiple operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. This is also popular for its messaging and collaboration solutions. Mostly, small and mid-sized businesses make use of this platform. It can synchronize with virtually every mobile device.
The best part is Kerio Connect provides full support for Outlook (Windows and Mac) and many other IMAP or POP-compliant email clients.
Anyway, this IMAP-based email client Kerio Connect stores its emails on the server. That means you are going to need 24/7 network connectivity to access the emails. If you ever wanted to open them offline then that would be impossible unless you have a backup of those emails. That’s why it’s better to have a Kerio Connect backup of important emails.
This leads to our main topic, how to do the backup?
Kerio Mail Backup using Kerio Connect Admin Console
This is a manual method that includes the Kerio connect admin console for taking the backup. Follow the steps carefully.
Note: To move ahead with the steps you must have the admin-level permissions.
- Open the Kerio Connect admin console by entering the correct hostname or IP address of your server.
- Next, enter the administrator credentials and log in.
- After that, go to the ‘Configuration’ section and select ‘Backup’.
- Now, set up the backup preferences and choose the location where you want to keep Kerio Connect backup emails. Make sure to select a secure and separate space from your primary mail server.
- Finally, start the backup process.
Using the above method you can backup Kerio Connect emails. However, there are some limitations you should know using this method.
- You must have a complete understanding of the admin console configuration settings. If you are new to this then it can be a complex process for you.
- When you use the admin console to take Kerio Connect backup, it can take a significant amount of space.
- This process focuses on performing a backup for a single server environment.
- This method doesn’t have any incremental backup option.
How to Backup Kerio Connect Emails Effectively?
Sadly, there is no in-house solution offered by the official organization. Hence, you need to turn your attention towards EmailDoctor IMAP Backup Software that can effortlessly take backup of IMAP-based email clients including Kerio Connect. The tool is loaded with advanced features which we’ll discuss in the coming section.
Note – This particular tool will work on Mac OS.
First, let’s learn how to use the tool for Kerio mail backup.
Detailed Steps of Kerio Connect Backup Tool
Below are the steps for your reference.
Step 1. Download and install the backup tool on your device.
Step 2. Choose the IMAP host, Enter username & Password, Provide IMAP server & port number, and click Login.
Step 3. If the Hostname ‘Kerio’ is not listed then you can click Others and proceed.
Step 4. On the next screen, you’ll see the email folder hierarchy and other options.
Step 5. Now, select the export type as per your choice. Here we’ve chosen PDF.
Step 6. Click on Advanced Settings if you want to customize the Kerio Connect backup process.
Step 7. Choose the destination path where you want to save Kerio emails on the computer.
Step 8. Finally, click on the Start Backup button to begin the process.
Now, let’s proceed further and take a look at the next question.
Why Take Kerio Connect Webmail Backup using The Tool?
For various prominent features of the tool, it has been the first choice of many IT admins to save their IMAP-based emails. Yes, you read it right! Along with Kerio Connect, it can take backups of other email clients such as Gmail, Outlook.com, Yahoo, etc. Apart from this, the backup tool has many other features as well.
- You can backup Kerio Connect emails in 8+ file formats.
- The tool supports the Date Filter option through which you can perform a selective backup.
- It has the Incremental backup option which ensures backup of new-arrived emails during the process.
- In addition to that the Delete After Download feature lets users delete their emails from the Kerio server once the process is done.
- Also, the tool maintains the folder hierarchy after taking the Kerio Connect backup emails.
- The Kerio backup software is compatible with all the versions of Mac OS.
Significance of Taking Kerio Mail Backup
Saving your important emails to a local hard drive is a universal best practice, especially in IT management. It can be beneficial in different scenarios.
1. Data Loss Prevention
When you have a backup copy of Kerio emails, you’ll not worry about accidental deletion or permanent deletion of emails. That means you can prevent the chances of data loss to a great extent.
2. Offline Access
One of the best things about taking Kerio Connect backup is that you have complete access to all your emails 24/7 even without an internet connection.
3. Ease of Migration
When you backup Kerio Connect emails in PST or MBOX or any other format, then you don’t have to think twice for switching to a desktop-based email client. With the right approach, it’ll be a piece of cake for performing the migration.
4. Security & Compliance
At times, whether you own a small or medium-sized business, organizations have to undergo compliance audits. The Kerio mail backup would make the process smoother. On the other hand, from a security point of view, it would be double-beneficial. If you have all your emails backed up from Kerio servers at a local storage, then any type of cloud security breach would do no harm to you.
It is crystal clear from the article that, an effective backup of Kerio Connect emails asks for a tried and tested/expert-recommended tool. Anyone having a Kerio account or other IMAP-based email account can use the Kerio Connect backup tool to save all their emails with attachments. Now, it’s your call to download the tool, follow the steps, and the rest, leave it to the software.
Q- Can I take backup of specific Kerio mailboxes or folders?
Usually, when you take Kerio mail backup using the admin console, it performs the full server backups. However, when you use the automated tool, it allows to perform selective backup.
Q- How frequently should I backup Kerio Emails?
The backup frequency depends on the organizational need and email activity. However, experts recommend to take regular backups to prevent data loss.
Q- Is it possible to monitor the backup process?
Yes, you can track the backup of emails by looking at the logs and status information(in the case of using the admin console) or the dashboard (in the case of using the tool).