Quick Way to Convert Master Database File to SQL File
Summary: Are you looking for a solution to convert master database file to SQL file? If the answer is yes, then read the blog! This blog is intended for all users who want to know how to export MDF file to SQL Script. Before proceeding further let’s have a quick overview of master database file and SQL script.
Overview of MDF file and SQL Script
Master database file, is the primary data file that is used to store all the information about SQL Server. Along with it, it is used by users to archive backup of the SQL Server database for safer side. MDF Files contain all the information of SQL Server Database objects like tables, stored procedures, views, triggers, etc. Whereas, the .sql Script is a set of commands which contains one or more SQL statements. These Scripts are mainly used for further modification or regeneration of database objects. By using it, users can also create the whole database with data, tables, etc.
Why convert Master Database file to SQL file?
1. MDF files are unreadable and due to this fact, SQL Server users cannot open, read, and view them. So the only way to read or open MDF files is by converting them into SQL file.
2. By converting the MDF file to an SQL file, users can use these files on different servers.
3. Sometimes, when users try to attach MDF files to the database by some untrusted sources, it may result an error as it could contain malicious information. So, you can convert MDF file to sql script and execute these scripts on SQL Server for creating that database.
Before we proceed, let’s see a real user query for the same:
“Hello, I use SQL Server 2019 to store and manage all my precious data. Now, I want to convert my whole database to SQL script. So that I can use it on a different server. But I don’t know how to achieve this. Can anyone suggest a simple and reliable method to convert SQL Database to Script file? Sincerely grateful for any advice. Thank you!”
As you analyze the above query, the user is confused about how to export MDF file to sql script. So, in the below section, we will discuss some simple and fastest methods that will help you to perform this task in a hassle-free manner.
How to Convert Master Database File to SQL File
Here, we have mentioned different methods to export MDF File to SQL script. One method talks about the manual procedure and another is the smarter way to achieve the same result quickly.
Method #1. Manual Methodology
Here, it is important to mention that this method will work only if the required database file is corruption-free.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to convert MDF file to SQL script using generate script wizard:
1. Launch MS SQL Server Management Studio. Right-click on the database that you want to convert and click on Tasks>>Generate Scripts…
2. A Generate and Publish Scripts wizard will appear, click on the Next button.
3. On the Choose Objects window, select Script entire database and all database objects or Select specific database objects and then click on Next to proceed.
4. Now, on the Set Scripting Options page, choose Save Scripts to a specific location and click on Advanced to configure the additional export options, and then hit the Next button.
5. On the Summary page, simply press Next to proceed.
6. Now, click the Finish to close the Save or Publish Scripts Window.
Method #2. Professional way to convert master database file to SQL file
The manual method is successful only if the SQL database is in a healthy state. In case, if you are trying to export a corrupted SQL database then, you need to use a proficient third-party tool like SQL Database Recovery which fixes all the corruption issues and generate SQL script from .mdf file without any hassle.
This software has the capability to recover the permanently deleted data of SQL Server and provide a direct option to export the complete or selective data directly into a live SQL Server environment or generate SQL server script from database. Moreover, this software is compatible with all SQL Server versions such as 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, and below.
Follow the instructions to export SQL Server database files as SQL scripts
Step 1. Download & Launch the tool. Click on Open to load SQL database file (.mdf file).
Step 2. Choose the Scan mode (Quick or Advance) and then select the SQL Server version of .mdf file manually or automatically.
Step 3. After adding the database file, click on Export to convert master database file to SQL file.
Step 4. Now, there are different Export options, click on SQL Server Compatible SQL Scripts to convert the MDF file to SQL Scripts file.
Step 5. Fill all the export details and select the database components which you want to convert. Click on Save to begin the exporting process.
Once the process gets completed, go to the exported location and check the converted .sql files for each object.
Sometimes, you might experience the need to convert master database file to SQL file. This simple task might require a lot of effort and time if you do not follow the right procedure. So, here we have mentioned both manual and professional method in a detailed manner that will resolve all the problems faced by users while exporting MDF File to SQL Script. You can try any of the solutions that suit you most.