Use Drive Shipping Trick To Import PST File into Exchange Online
Managing data files that are present in the on-premises environment may result in difficulties such as data corruption, compliance issue, security issues, difficulty in eDiscovery and no network access optimization. In order to avoid such situations, the user can import PST file to Exchange Online.
This can be easily done if the user will move their Outlook PST file to Exchange Online, with Office 365 Import service. The Import service of Office 365 allows migration of PST files to Exchange Online mailboxes.
Migrating data is slightly difficult for the user, in that case, user can opt the alternative third-party solution for importing PST files to Exchange Online. Outlook emails to Office 365 Migration Software is a commercial tool that can migrate all on-premises Outlook PST files to Microsoft cloud storage.
The tool enables migration of multiple UNICODE PST files to Office 365 by keeping all meta properties and attachments intact after migration. In addition, Office 365 Migration also ensures the secure migration of PST files with 0% data loss.
How to Import PST File Data into Exchange Online
- Network Upload: In this user will upload data files over the network to a temporary storage device in the cloud and then import PST file data to cloud using Office 365 Import service.
- Drive Shipping: In this type of migration, the user will copy the data files to a BitLocker encrypted hard drive and then physically transfer the drive to Microsoft. After receiving the hard drive, Microsoft personal will uploads the data to a temporary storage location that exists in Microsoft cloud. Now with Office 365 service import service, the user will import the data to the mailboxes present in the cloud.
How To Migrate Outlook PST To Exchange Online – In Detail
Network Upload for Importing PST File To Exchange Online
- Download and Install Azure AzCopy tool, it will upload PST files to Office 365 and copy the SAS URL of the organization. This network URL is a combination of for the Azure storage location in Office 365 and SAS key (Shared Access Signature). SAS key provides permission to the admin to upload PST files to Azure storage location.
- The AzCopy.exe tool will import PST files to Office 365. with this user can upload the PST files in an Azure storage location in the cloud.
- User can take a look of uploaded PST files on the list to verify the PST files have successfully uploaded to Azure Blob and to verify their names.
- After uploading the PST files to Azure storage location, create a CSV file that will specify which mailboxes the PST files will be imported to Office 365.
- At last, the user will create an import job in Office 365 that will take information from CSV file to import PST files to a corresponding user mailbox.
Using Drive Shipping To Import PST Files in Exchange Online
Drive Shipping is very much similar to the network upload method. However, In this method, the user will copy the PST files to Hard drive and then hard drive physically shipped to Microsoft. When Microsoft receives the hard drive, the data center personnel will upload the data from hard drive to Cloud.
- First, install WAImportExport.exe tool and secure storage key.
- With WAImportExport.exe tool, the user will add the PST files in the hard drive, the tool will encrypt these PST files with BitLocker tool.
- WAImportExport.exe tool will create a Journal file which consist of information about the copy process.
- Now Microsoft Personnel will migrate the PST files from hard drive to Azure storage area, the import service will use the information of CSV files.
- The CSV file will specify the user’s mailboxes and their respective PST files.
- At last, the user will create a PST import job and ship the hard drive to Microsoft cloud. Then Microsoft will provide shipment information. Microsoft personnel will shift the data from hard drive to Azure Storage area.
Need To Migrate PST Files To Exchange Online
The migration of Outlook PST files in Exchange Online Mailboxes is necessary due to following given reasons:
- With the migration of PST file to Exchange online allows users to migrate their on-premises data to Online.
- Migration of Outlook PST to Exchange online enables the user to store their data in a very centralized manner.
- Gives an option to archive Outlook data in Exchange online to provide additional mailbox storage space.
- User can place their Mailboxes and site on hold, to preserve the content.
- User can apply retention policies and document deletion policies that will hold the data for a specific period of time. This option will help the user from the point of recovery.
- It can apply Microsoft eDiscovery tools to search the desired data.
- The transfer of Outlook PST files data to Exchange online will protect data from any data loss and damage.
- The enhances the availability of data as the user can access the cloud data from anywhere, using their devices.
Automated Approach to Import PST to Office 365 Mailbox
One can also use automated tool like Office 365 Import to migrate PST file to Exchange Online account. It can import multiple Outlook PST file into Office exchange Online. Also, it is the best method to migrate emails, calendars & contacts from PST file to O365 account
Steps to Migrate Outlook PST to Exchange Online
Step 1 : Download and Install the Office 365 Import Wizard
Step 2 : Enter Office 365 Account Credentials
Step 3 : Upload PST file by using Add File / Folder Option
Step 4 : Select Category of file to Import & Apply Filter
Step 5 : Click on Import button to migrate PST files to Exchange Online
In order to prevent Outlook data file(.pst) from future disaster, the user can import PST file into Exchange Online. With the help of Office 365 Import service, one can migrate on-premises Outlook mailbox data to the Office 365 cloud which will also enhance the availability of data.
Frequently Asked Question & Answers
Yes, you can use any of the methods to import multiple PST to Exchange Online account
Use, Office 365 Import tool, it allows you to fastly migrate multiple Outlook PST file to Exchange Online mailbox
Yes, to import PST file to own single account, Office 365 Import Tool doesn’t require Admin Credentials
Yes, they both are the safe method but require high-level technical knowledge. Files may get corrupt while migrating if they don’t do properly. It recommended using an automated solution to Import important & bulk PST files.